Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Cricut Cake - My First Project

 Well I caved... I don't know how many of you knew that Micheal's was discontinuing their stock of Cricut Cake machines (not everyone just M's) but you could get some AMAZING deals on any of the items for the cake machine, including the machine. I called 5 M's before I found one in stock and I knew my mom in law was in the big city so I had her go pick it up for me :) The Saturday after Thanksgiving we (meaning the kids, hubby and I) were finally able to get it out and give it a try! I made my own marshmallow fondant from a recipe on My Pink Stampers blog it called for 1 bag of mini marshmallows, 1 bag of powder sugar and 3 Tables. of water. 1st you put the whole bag of marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl with the 3 Tablespoons of water and cook 30 seconds at a time until completely melted. When that's melted you grease your counter with Crisco and pour the whole bag of powdered sugar on top of that. Make a well in the middle of the p. sugar and then pour the whole bowl of melted marshmallow in, now start kneading it, it will be very messy but just keep going. If you need to you can coat your hands with the Crisco and knead more it helps combine it all together. Then my kids got to add some color to the fondant and I had my hubby roll it out on the mat then I started  cutting. The kids all had a pretty good time and this is what we ended up with... I used Holiday Cakes and cut the trees at 4 inches, the snowflakes, stars and swirl are all from Cake Basics.
Here are a few of the kids with the finished cake :)

Don't forget to enter the My Pink Stamper giveaway and the Scrappy Mom's Stamp set of your choice giveaway on Monday and Tuesdays posts!

7 comments:

Denise G said...

So very cute. Looks like you and your family will have lots of fun and beautiful cakes.

I am so sad Michaels is discontinuing selling the cake. I don't have it, but it was a nice option if I ever got daring.

Abby said...

AWESOME job!!!!! I love my Cricut Cake too!!!

Danielle Phillips said...

Very cute cake and would translate well into a layout or card as well!

VinDeeLoo said...

My mom is the cake decorator. Very nice.

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Yummy! Looks good!

Kelly Massman said...

So cute and looks yummy, too!

Kim. said...

Wow if this is your first attempt it is wonderful. Love the blues against the dark of the chocolate.
Kim xXx